Section 1c: FHIR®
Section 3: Implementation Guides
HL7 FHIR® Implementation Guide: FHIRcast, Release 1, STU2
The FHIRcast specification describes the APIs used to synchronize disparate healthcare applications' user interfaces in real time, allowing them to show the same clinical content to a user (or group of users).
HL7 FHIR® Implementation Guide: FHIRcast, Release 1, STU2 may also go by the following names or acronyms:
- Enables standards-based support for modern, simple application context synchronization
- Supports patient safety in multi-application workflows such as imaging integration with EMR and dictation systems
- Reduces provider burden in multi-application workflows
- Improves security over current application integration mechanisms
- Multiple open source projects
Once the subscribing app knows about the session, the app may subscribe to specific workflow-related events for the given session. The subscription is verified and the app is notified when those workflow-related events occur; for example, by the clinician opening a patient's chart. The subscribing app may initiate context changes by accessing APIs exposed by the Hub; for example, closing the patient's chart. The app deletes its subscription to no longer receive notifications. The notification message describing the workflow event is a simple json wrapper around one or more FHIR resources.
FHIRcast enables a subscriber to receive notifications either through a webhook or over a WebSocket connection. FHIRcast recommends the HL7 SMART on FHIR launch protocol for both session discovery and API authentication.
|HL7 FHIR® Implementation Guide: FHIRcast, Release 1, STU2|
|HL7 FHIR® Implementation Guide: FHIRCast, Release 1 STU2 See the standard at http://fhircast.hl7.org/specification/STU2.||Expiration Feb 2023|
- Decision Support
- Security and Privacy
RESPONSIBLE WORK GROUP
- Implementation Guide
- Clinical Decision Support Systems Vendors
- EHR, PHR Vendors
- Health Care IT Vendors
- HIS Vendors
- Lab Vendors
- Standards Development Organizations (SDOs)