Section 1c: FHIR®
Section 3: Implementation Guides
HL7 FHIR® Implementation Guide: Electronic Long-Term Services & Supports (eLTSS), Release 1 - US Realm
The electronic Long-Term Services and Supports (eLTSS) Implementation Guide (IG) is based on FHIR R4. It was developed to support exchange of data generated during the planning and provision of long-term services and supports and is currently scoped to data commonly found on long-term services and supports (LTSS) service plans.
See the specification at http://hl7.org/fhir/us/eltss/STU1/index.html.
HL7 FHIR® Implementation Guide: Electronic Long-Term Services & Supports (eLTSS), Release 1 - US Realm may also go by the following names or acronyms:
- Designed to streamline the ability to exchange and make data which is currently and primarily used by LTSS service providers and care managers and resides in case management systems and LTSS provider systems available to all members participating in the care of the beneficiary (patient) including clinical and non-clinical care providers as well as the beneficiary and their representative(s).
- Altarum: developed eLTSS use case and participating in an eLTTS IG test at the September Connectathon
- Long Term Care Institute (LTCI): participating in an eLTSS IG test at the September Connectathon
- FEI Systems: have implemented preliminary FHIR eLTSS CarePlan within their solution with mapping of FHIR data elements to their internal data structure, participating in the September Connectathon test
- Medical Micrographics: they plan the eLTSS FHIR IG to implement a number of pilot projects that include LTSS for senior and high risk/high need patient populations
The eLTSS data referenced in the IG refers to the eLTSS Dataset that was developed by the eLTSS Initiative, a joint project between the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and made possible by CMS funding. The eLTSS Dataset was input for the Informative Document titled “HL7 Cross-Paradigm Information Sharing for Electronic Long-Term Services and Supports (eLTSS), Release 1” balloted during the September 2018 cycle. The IG further advances the eLTSS Dataset to FHIR mapping found in the Informative Document to provide FHIR-specific implementer guidance.
Long-term services and supports (LTSS) are needed by millions of people, including children, adults and individuals over age 65, due to various disabling conditions and chronic illnesses. Long-term services are comprised of a diverse set of assistances designed to help with general care, activities of daily living (ADLs), and instrumental activities of daily living (IADLs) like eating, toileting, dressing, cooking, driving, managing money, etc. These services are provided across various settings from facility-based or institutional care to community-based settings. Services and supports provided in the person’s home or in a community setting are referred to as Community-Based Long-Term Services and Supports (CB-LTSS) or Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS).
The eLTSS data is currently and primarily used by LTSS service providers and care managers and resides in case management systems and LTSS provider systems. The eLTSS IG is designed to streamline the ability to exchange and make this data available to all members participating in the care of the beneficiary (patient) including clinical and non-clinical care providers as well as the beneficiary and their representative(s).
|Please see the resource detail for link and download instructions.|
- Care Provision
- Patient Care
RESPONSIBLE WORK GROUP
- Implementation Guide
- Health Care IT Vendors
- Healthcare Institutions
- Local and State Departments of Health
- Regulatory Agency
- US Realm