HL7 offers certification and proficiency testing to assess the knowledge and proficiency of its most frequently used health information technology (HIT) standards. Download your free path to certification guide by filling out the form on the right side.
Certification & Proficiency Exams Offered
Why get HL7 certified?
HL7 certification helps professionals achieve industry-recognized levels of proficiency and expertise. Increase your career opportunities and stand out from the crowd by becoming HL7 certified.
Why hire HL7-certified professionals?
The healthcare information technology industry is complex. As an employer, you need a quality team dedicated to solving today's interoperability challenges. Hiring an HL7-certified professional gives you confidence in the individual's specialized knowledge and skills. These experts demonstrate a commitment to excellence required to address the rapidly evolving field of healthcare.
HL7 certification exams are offered through Webassessor™, a product of Kryterion, a professional testing service. There are two options to take a certification exam:
- Online proctored testing from your own computer
- Onsite at Kryterion testing centers located around the world
Online proctored testing allows the exam to be taken with internet access and an external webcam that meets Kryterion webcam specifications. Please refer to the Kyterion Online Testing Requirements for requirements. Be sure to test your equipment before the exam.
How to Register
Please Note: HL7 International is migrating to a new AMS system. Hence registration for certificate exams will not be available until October 31. If you have any concerns, please contact the Director of Education, Sadhana Alangar: email@example.com
- To register for an HL7 certification exam, you will need an HL7.org account. If you do not have one, create an account.
- Once you have an account and are logged in, select your certificate exam from above, click register and pay for the exam.
- Within 5 business days, you will receive an email with your user ID, password, voucher code and instructions to schedule your exam in Webassessor. The voucher code is good for 360 days. If you do not receive an email within 5 days, please contact Sadhana Alangar.
NOTE: Please read the Certification Test Policies regarding rescheduling exam dates. There are fees assessed for changes made less than 5 days before scheduled dates.
The cost to sit for a certification exam is as follows:
*Students are required to submit proof of enrollment in a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral program at an accredited university or college (in English). Certificate programs do not qualify for the discount. Either of the following documents is acceptable proof of enrollment:
- A transcript showing the student is actively enrolled in the university or college as of the date of registration for the certification exam
- A letter from the Dean or Department Chair stating that the student is enrolled for a time period that includes the date of registration for the certification exam. This letter must be on school letterhead, display a school seal or logo and contain a signature and phone number of the Dean or Department Chair.
Eligible VA veterans can apply for reimbursement of certification and proficiency exam fees. More information here.
To be eligible for a refund minus the $50 cancellation fee, you must cancel 120 hours before the examination date. However, if you reschedule or cancel within 120 hours, you will be assessed a $95 fee. No shows will not be eligible for any refund.