Section 1e: Version 3 (V3)
Section 4: Rules and References
HL7 Version 3 Standard: Refinement, Constraint, and Localization (RCL) to V3 Messages, R2
This HL7 Version 3 (V3) standard describes the processes whereby HL7 V3 artifact specifications may be refined, constrained and extended to support implementation designs, conformance profiles, and realm-specific standards.
HL7 Version 3 Standard: Refinement, Constraint, and Localization (RCL) to V3 Messages, R2 may also go by the following names or acronyms:
- HL7 Work Groups
- HL7 International Affiliates
- Healthcare IT Vendors
- Any other user of HL7 Version 3
- Supports the ability to constrain the scope of a standard for a particular interoperability need
- Provides the ability to extend the standard in a controlled fashion when additional static data scope or functional support is being added without a negative impact on existing implementations
- Experience especially gained from CDA implementation guides
The Version 3 standard provides a rich set of artifacts (messages and documents) to support communications in a variety of clinical, administrative and other health related domains. Moreover, HL7 Version 3 messages can be specific enough to permit strong conformance claims to be asserted and verified. Any standard faces two challenges: First, it can always be made more specific in order to provide a more precise solution to a particular requirement; second, it will not contain all of the data needed in every environment, particularly when realm specific requirements are considered.
The Refinement, Constraint and Localization standard of the HL7 Version 3 Normative Edition addresses:
- the "rules" and processes for refining the standard through constraint and extension ? including which standard artifacts are subject to constraint or extension
- the definition of constraint and localization profiles
- the criteria for establishing a conformance statement
- the principles guiding who may define extensions to the standards and under what circumstances
The current release adds clarification for rules for conformance and non-conformance for senders and receivers, and rules for constraining and extending the standard.
|HL7 Version 3 Standard: Refinement, Constraint, and Localization (RCL) to V3 Messages, R2||
(Download) (15.14 MB)
RESPONSIBLE WORK GROUP