Section 5: Implementation Guides
HL7 Version 2.5.1 Implementation Guide: Electronic Laboratory Reporting to Public Health, Release 2 (US Realm)
Note: This product page contains the Release 2 Draft Standard for Trial Use of HL7 Version 2.5.1 Implementation Guide: Electronic Laboratory Reporting to Public Health. If you are seeking the Release 1 Informative standard of this guide, follow this link to its product page.
This implementation guide contains the necessary specifications for laboratory results reporting to local, state, territorial and federal health agencies including messaging content and dynamics related to the transmission of Reportable Laboratory Result Messages. The message described in this guide is not specific to any pathogen or reportable condition and is applicable for most biological and chemistry reportable laboratory observations. Each state and territory has requirements for laboratories to report certain findings to health officials. Authority to establish a list of reportable conditions and to specify the content of those reports resides with the individual public health jurisdiction.
Reports made to Public Health come in two forms: case reports (not the subject of this guide), and laboratory reports. When a laboratory result is sent to public health, additional data is required to be sent along in the result message when compared to sending results back to the provider. This guide facilitate the inclusion of information necessary for public health reporting in the larger test order and result process between ordering providers/laboratories and performing laboratories to ensure that the data is available if and when it needs to be sent to Public Health.
HL7 Version 2.5.1 Implementation Guide: Electronic Laboratory Reporting to Public Health, Release 2 (US Realm) may also go by the following names or acronyms:
- Healthcare Providers
- Clinical and Public Health Laboratories in the US
- US Local, State. Territorial and Tribal Public Health Jurisdictions
- Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists (CSTE)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Laboratory Information System Developers and Vendors
- Reduce cost of reporting reportable laboratory results to Public Health.
- Improve the completeness, timeliness, and accuracy of reporting reportable laboratory results to Public Health.
- Leverages the existing Laboratory Results Interfaces (LRI) implementation guide to establish a standard electronic exchange of a laboratory results messages between laboratories and Public Health.
- Public Health Agencies
- Eligible Hospitals
This implementation guide is designed to work collaboratively with the HL7 Version 2.5.1 Implementation Guide: S&I Framework Laboratory Orders from EHR, Release 1 – US Realm and the HL7 Version 2.5.1 Implementation Guide: S&I Framework Lab Results Interface, Release 1 – US Realm, and the HL7 Version 2 Implementation Guide: Laboratory Test Compendium Framework, Release 2 - US Realm. As well as maintain backwards compatibility with HL7 Version 2.5.1 Implementation Guide: Electronic Laboratory Reporting to Public Health, Release 1 - US Realm whenever possible.
RESPONSIBLE WORK GROUP
|This is an update to the intial DSTU release of November 2013, released May 2014.||Expiration Nov 2015|