Section 5: Implementation Guides
HL7 Implementation Guide: Service-Oriented Architecture Implementations of the Context-aware Knowledge Retrieval (Infobutton) Domain, Release 1
This implementation guide provides a service-oriented (SOA) specification for the Context-Aware Knowledge Retrieval (Infobutton) Standard. The specification is based on the RESTful (Representational State Transfer) software architecture style and uses the IETF ATOM content syndication standard as the basis for the knowledge response payload.
HL7 Implementation Guide: Service-Oriented Architecture Implementations of the Context-aware Knowledge Retrieval (Infobutton) Domain, Release 1 may also go by the following names or acronyms:
- Clinical Decision Support Systems vendors
- Clinical information system developers
- Clinical knowledge resource publishers
- Clinical decision support developers
- Healthcare Institutions (hospitals, long term care, home care, mental health)
- Pharmaceutical Vendors
- EHR/PHR Vendors
- Health Care IT Vendors
- Standards Development Organizations (SDOs)
- Clinical and Public Health Laboratories
- Local and State Departments of Health
- Enables service-oriented implementations of the HL7 Context-Aware Knowledge Retrieval Standard
- Supports the RESTful software architecture style
- Supports the ATOM content syndication standard in XML and JSON formats
- Wolters Kluwer Health
- National Library of Medicine
Clinicians face numerous knowledge needs during the course of patient care and the majority of these needs are not met, compromising the quality of care. Likewise, in order to be partners in the decision making process, patients need to be well-informed about their health and health care options. Online health knowledge resources that are capable of solving clinicians’ and patients’ knowledge needs are now widely available, but a series of barriers hinder a more effective and frequent use of these resources to support decision-making. Context-aware knowledge retrieval into Clinical Information Systems (CIS) is an approach for delivering relevant clinical knowledge and patient education material to the point of care. These kinds of tools are known as Infobuttons.
To support the integration of knowledge resources into CISs, the Clinical Decision Support Work Group (CDS WG) has been developing a set of standard specifications. The first of these specifications, entitled Context-Aware Knowledge Retrieval, Knowledge Request Standard, is a normative ANSI/ISO HL7 standard. This specification provides a standard mechanism for Clinical Information Systems to submit knowledge requests to knowledge resources. In addition, a URL-based implementation guide was developed to specify knowledge request implementations using the HTTP protocol. The present specification complements the previous ones by enabling the implementation of context-aware knowledge retrieval applications through a Service-Oriented Architecture (SOA) based on the RESTful (Representational State Transfer) software architecture style.