Section 3: Clinical and Administrative Domains
Section 5: Implementation Guides
Section 7: Education & Awareness
HL7 Version 3 Implementation Guide: URL-Based Implementations of the Context-Aware Information Retrieval (Infobutton) Domain
The Context-Aware Knowledge Retrieval (Infobutton), Knowledge Request specification, provides a standard mechanism for clinical information systems to submit knowledge requests to knowledge resources. Context-aware knowledge retrieval into clinical information systems (CIS), such as electronic health record (EHR) and personal health record (PHR) systems, is an increasingly promising approach for delivering relevant clinical knowledge to the point of care as well as patient-tailored educational material to support patient-centered care. These kinds of knowledge retrieval tools have been known as "Infobuttons." For example, an infobutton displayed in the context of a patient’s problem list may allow a user to view directly educational material regarding the evaluation and treatment of a specific disease without having to leave the EHR application and look up the knowledge elsewhere.
- Clinical Information System Developers
- Clinical Knowledge Resource Publishers
- Clinical Decision Support Developers
- Healthcare Organizations
- Enables the integration of contextually relevant, patient-specific knowledge resources into clinical information systems, helping providers and patients meet their health care knowledge needs
- Columbia University LITE (Librarian Infobutton Tailoring Environment)
- VHA OpenInfobutton
- Intermountain Healthcare Infobutton Manager
- Partners Healthcare Knowledge Link
- MedlinePlus Connect (National Library of Medicine)
- UpToDate, Clin-eguide, Drug Facts & Comparisons (Wolters Kluwer Health)
- Dynamed (Ebsco)
- Merck Manual (Merck)
An 'infobutton' is a point-of-care information retrieval application that automatically generates and sends knowledge requests to on-line health knowledge resources based on a particular CIS context.
This specification focuses on a context-aware knowledge retrieval transaction, primarily on the knowledge request step, representing a context-aware knowledge request event initiated by the EHR (e.g., as a result of a user clicking on an Infobutton).
Currently, e-resources typically provide HTTP-based application program interfaces (API) that can be used by infobuttons. However, these APIs are based on proprietary syntax and vocabularies, requiring the development of custom software for each e-resource that an infobutton needs to link to.