Section 3: Clinical and Administrative Domains
Section 7: Education & Awareness
HL7 Version 3 Standard: Context Aware Knowledge Retrieval Application (“Infobutton”), Knowledge Request
Context-aware knowledge retrieval into clinical information systems (CIS), such as electronic health record (EHR) and personal health record (PHR) systems, is an increasingly promising approach for delivering relevant clinical knowledge to the point of care as well as patient-tailored educational material to support patient-centered care. These kinds of knowledge retrieval tools have been known as "Infobuttons." For example, an infobutton displayed in the context of a patient’s problem list may allow a user to view directly educational material regarding the evaluation and treatment of a specific disease without having to leave the CIS and look up the knowledge elsewhere.
HL7 Version 3 Standard: Context Aware Knowledge Retrieval Application (“Infobutton”), Knowledge Request may also go by the following names or acronyms:
- Clinical information system developers
- Clinical knowledge resource publishers
- Clinical decision support developers
- Health care organizations
- Enables the integration of contextually relevant, patient-specific knowledge resources into clinical information systems, helping providers meet their patient care knowledge needs
- Supports patient-centered care by enabling patients to be partners in the decision-making process
- Facilitates the context-aware integration of knowledge resources into clinical information systems (CIS), such as electronic health record (EHR) and personal health record (PHR) systems.
- Enables a CIS (e.g., EHR, PHR) to request context-specific knowledge from knowledge resources
- Lowers barriers to the access of knowledge resources at the point of need
- Columbia University LITE (Librarian Infobutton Tailoring Environment) at https://lite.dbmi.columbia.edu/
- Other projects and references at http://www.openinfobutton.org/site/infobuttonsforcprs/infobutton-knowledge-base
Clinicians face numerous knowledge needs during the course of patient care and the majority of these needs are not met, compromising the quality of care. Likewise, in order to be partners in the decision making process, patients need to be well-informed about their health and health care options. Online health knowledge resources that are capable of solving clinicians’ and patients’ knowledge needs are now widely available, but a series of barriers hinder a more effective and frequent use of these resources to support decision-making.
To support the integration of knowledge resources into CISs, the Clinical Decision Support Work Group (CDS WG) has been developing a set of standard specifications for context-aware knowledge retrieval. The first of these specifications, entitled Context-Aware Knowledge Retrieval (Infobutton), Knowledge Request Standard, was approved in September 2010 as a normative ANSI/ISO HL7 standard. This specification provides a standard mechanism for clinical information systems to submit knowledge requests to knowledge resources. In addition, a URL-based implementation guide has been developed to specify knowledge request implementations using the HTTP protocol.
RESPONSIBLE WORK GROUP
|Expiration Oct 2010|